Journey through Hamilton County's pioneer history by touring our various exhibits - all indoors! All five buildings are located on our 6-acre campus.
Housed in the Plainsman Museum's main building is the rotunda, sod house, log cabin, historical main street boardwalk and our military exhibit. Seasonal, special and rotating exhibits are also featured here throughout the year.
The Wesley Huenefeld Agricultural Museum houses our historical agricultural equipment, antique cars, historical homestead and workshop. The exhibit hall is currently under renovation and will not be open to the public until later this year (2021).
Our lovely Victorian-era house built by Gen. Delevan Bates in the 1870's. Previously located at 903 9th Street in Aurora, the Bates House was donated to the Plainsman Museum by Anita & Jeff Powers, and was moved to museum grounds in 1998.
Originally owned by William Grieser of Hampton, NE, our blacksmith shop not only displays an authentic pioneer smithy, but is also fully operational for demonstrations.
Burlington Northern Caboose
Donated to the museum by Burlington Northern in 2003, the caboose is located on the south side of the Agricultural Building. The caboose was moved to the museum grounds in 2004, and was restored in 2006.